Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Trends

I remember 11 years ago (am I that old), asking a friend of mine who was into the indie music scene if he had heard of a band called the Hives. He indicated that he had and used to like them until they got onto MTV and became mainstream. I didn't understand the logic used to no longer enjoy this song or the fun video.

Fast forward to last week. I asked a friend about the Mumford & Sons "hiatus". He indicated that he didn't follow that band anymore or the Lumineers because their sound had been copied across a wide assortment of genres and musical acts. I didn't understand that logic either.

I like what I like and don't really care what you like. I like Jesus, my family, my friends, the Tennessee Vols, Atlanta Braves, Dale Earnhardt Sr., Moutain Dew, classic rock, classic country music, 90s rock, 90s country, The Office, Scrubs, Life is Beautiful, The Natural, hot wings, fried food, summer, and running shoes. My guilty pleasures include professional wrestling (not just the WWE, I follow promotions that operate in high school gyms and draw 200 people), Creed, Daria, and the Great Plains. I don't care what you think about my likes no more than I care that you enjoy cutting grass, watching So You Think You Can Dance?, or listening to Barry Manilow. What difference does it make what I like and what you like? If you look at pictures of me from high school, my fashion sense hasn't changed. I still like t-shirt of my favorite sports teams, I still wear running shoes 90% of the time, and I still don't prefer polo shirts. What's that you say? You only wear polo shirts? Cool. I don't care.

As The Skillet once told me, "You do you, and I'll do me." When I first heard this, I thought it was a thinly veiled masturbation statement before I realized it meant "Let's both mind our own business." Agreed. Like what you want, and forget what people around you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment